We give you solid ways to improve your finances through increasing your income. Start your own business and begin living a life of purpose in the work your love!
It’s not what you don’t have, it’s what you think you need that keeps you from being successful.
While we all need income, how we go about bringing it in makes all the difference as to how much of it we have. In America we are raised like sheep to go out and get a job and that is what most people think they need. It is also one of the things that keeps them from finding true success.
Profits vs. Wages
It is through serving other people that money comes into our life and when it comes to increasing income, I am reminded about some powerful lessons I learned from Jim Rohn. He taught success isn’t the result something you do “Success is what you attract by the person you become.” He mentioned a truth that “your finances can’t improve any faster than you do”.
He was big into network marketing, which is not one of my personal passions, but side-stepping that, he taught some universal truths. He opened my mind to the difference between profits and wages. Earning wages there is only so much you can do to increase what you bring in:
- If your employer will allow it, you can work overtime;
- You can approach your boss and ask for a raise;
- You can get a second job;
- You can seek a different job which pays more;
Sadly, with each of these you are simply trading your time and efforts for a set amount. Which adds to the problem that there is only so much time we have in our lives.
So here’s one of the lessons I walked away with. “Profits are better than wages!” How long does it take to make a profit? He said “a little time and ingenuity and you are on your way”. And what are your limits with profits? You are limited only by your creativity and willingness to learn and put things into action.
Knowing that profits are the best way to earn money, also understand that money is simply a reflection of value and the amount you make in your personal life (or in your business) is always going to be directly related to three areas:
Number 1- Your mindset (what you think about, how you think about it, and the decisions you make from it).
Number 2- Your marketing (whether in your own business or just how you market yourself).
Number 3- Your Sales (your ability to enroll others into the value you have to offer).
So how do you increase your income?
Perhaps a quick parable can set the stage for this; There was potter who taught a class of kids about pottery. He started off by sitting before them a wheel, placed some clay upon it and within a short time he showed them how to transform the pile of clay into a beautiful bowl. He then asked for a few volunteers who would come and do likewise.
Within a matter of minutes a huge mess ensued and clay flew in every direction; however, no one made a bowl or anything even near it. When asked “Why?” they suggested all kinds of reasons ranging from “Not knowing how” to having no aptitude or talent for it. He said “Actually, no one came close because none of you had the clay perfectly centered in the wheel”. He then went and centered the clay for each of them, and each produced pottery that came out something like unto a bowl.
When you get your life “centered” where it needs to be, then molding it the way you want becomes much easier and in time develops into a beautiful and priceless art. You will still need to hone things and perfect your skills and as you do, your failures and successes will all lead and build you to become a better craftsman than you could have ever dreamed.
Properly Centering Our Thoughts
So let’s start by properly centering our thoughts about money (and how to make it) on our wheel of life. Everything in life starts with an idea, how we choose to cultivate our ideas and thoughts, then the choices we ultimately make from them, is what creates our results.
Most people only have the capacity to earn and keep a limited amount of money. Delving deeply into this will take time, (though to scratch the surface) there are certain thresholds you feel comfortable with, because of your internal blueprint about money and what you feel you are worth or even think is possible.
To get you started on the right path, ask yourself “If anything were possible, what would I want?” Then start pondering all of the possible “How can I?” questions that will lead you there. These questions start opening up possibilities for enabling you to accomplish great amounts.
When you start asking yourself things like, “How can I benefit the lives of others? How can I serve more people?” you get at the heart of an earning profits. Profits are earned by simply solving problems for other people for a financial return, which is perhaps the most essential definition of an entrepreneur.
Can’t find a job? Challenge yourself to create one for yourself,” Robert Kiyosaki says. “Want to start generating passive income and building assets? Do it! Find a mentor. Start a blog or podcast. Write an e-book. License your killer salsa recipe. Or join a network marketing company. You’re smart and creative and talented … so use those talents.
Robert Kiyosaki teaches that while there’s nothing wrong with working for a paycheck, it probably isn’t the best path to creating the peace of mind that so many overworked, super-stressed people sorely need. He also teaches that the rich think about money differently and have a different vocabulary. So, since we know that wages are not ultimately the best source of income, then the question must be asked… How do you turn a profit? There are many ways, but I will stick to a few simple categories here.
- Earning a commission from someone purchasing something. This can either fall into the category of “building a business” or “working for someone” by becoming a salesman. In building a business you can again take this a few directions by either becoming a drop shipper, or earn commissions through (one of my personal favorites of) affiliate marketing or you can even join a network marketing company (not something I highly suggest).
- Purchasing or Building a Business. (I suggest starting here either through affiliate marketing, or a more traditional business like a Franchise or perhaps creating a Limited Liability Company known as an LLC).
- Earning money from an Asset. (After finding success through your business then I suggest adding this. I would alter that only if your business you build is in real estate investing in which case you will be able to build both at once).
Since my goal is to get you on a great path with as little of an investment as possible; for now we will bypass everyone’s “favorite career path” of becoming a salesman, or a network marketer trying to learn how to write a book on how to “loose friends and alienate people”, and get straight to some good stuff…owning and building your own business.
Start Earning Commissions:
(Cost, FREE… well, as Hagrid said “if you know where to go”)
- Affiliate Marketing (FREE)- As far as earning commissions this is my strongest suggestion and anyone can build a sweet spot with it if they wanted to. The concept is simple enough and very teachable to put into practice, it just takes time. Affiliate Marketing is NOT to be confused with network marketing which is more a form of direct sales. I was being facetious in saying that becoming a network marketer would teach you to “alienate people” if you truly want an unbiased insights into network marketing you can look here.
Start a Business:
(Cost, $200 to Millions+)
- Start A Business-Technically, building an income through affiliate marketing online is building a business, but I think it deserved its own special category since it’s earning commissions and you can start it for no cost. There are other options for having your own business that are really good though. Building some kind of a Business is a solid solution. If founding or buying a franchise and the like is your dream and you have a bit of startup money ($200+) then this might be the best path for you. Click here to get more in depth on this and setup a FREE consultation with a Certified Business Adviser.
Earn From Assets:
Earning From Assets- An asset is something that puts money into your pocket, while a liability is something that takes it out. An asset can technically be anything as long as it has value, produces income and appreciates. Personally I look for assets that will be able to bring in money, whether or not I can work it day-in and day-out. I once heard someone say at a seminar that your ability to earn an income is your biggest asset. So focusing on boosting your income or at least maintaining your ability to earn a good one is very important. I would set forth that our time is our most valuable asset, which is why we should be careful where we invest it.
Before we leave the topic of an asset here is some food for thought…1. Unless doing so for free, building a business is at first a liability until you start turning a profit. Keep in mind that statistically 1 out of 10 businesses fail if working on your own. However, when building a systematized business like a franchise those numbers reverse to 90% of them succeed.2. Your house that you are purchasing is a liability until it brings in money, at which point it can be an asset. In the mean time it is simply an investment.3. When looking for an asset would you consider making an investment like this? It’s a simple one that you only have to invest almost all of the money you can spare, maybe even a little more.On the upside, over time you might earn 3 or even 15 percent (maybe even more).On the downside any day you could lose it all, for reasons usually outside your control and that you will almost never see coming.
Would you make that investment? Of course not.
Yet millions of people do it all the time. I am no licensed financial adviser, but I would personally watch out for things like investing in the stock market and I would invest in things that pay no less than 6%. The reason for this is because after taxes and the increased cost of living, 6% is what an asset takes to not depreciate over time.
Any thoughts or questions on how to increase your income?
(This question can open a can of worms, please no spam or random links for making money…they will not be approved as I personally verify and assess all opportunities I put on here.)
As always if you have any thoughts or if you have any comments or questions, please leave them below. All feedback is welcome and will help others too.
Very best wishes